Friday, August 8, 2008

Rachel McGougan (Strawbridge)

Rachel McGougan married Ollie Strawbridge.
1112 Nellie Drive
Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459
tel: 850 267.3870
email: n/a
Favorite teacher: Mrs. Hill. I loved her psychology class.
Graduated from Troy with a BS in Ed. in 1965 and a MS in Ed.in 1980.
Have 3 children & 2 grandchildren
I have visited 2 continents: NA & Europe
I have vacationed in Canada (Quebec City & Montreal), crossed the New Mexico border into Mexico for a shopping expedition, and traveled through England on an 8 day literary tour with fellow English teachers.
In the US I've exchanged timeshares in CO, UT, AZ, NM, LAPosted by PicasaMS, MO, AR,TN, GA, NC, VA, PA, and FL. Each of these vacation spots were springboards to surrounding states and attractions as well. I've visited family in AL, TX, KY, WV, WDC and ME. I've been to Jackson Hole, WY, The Grand Canyon, Yellowstone National Park, The GrandTeton National Park, Bryce Canyon, the Smoky Mountains (numerous times), the Blue Ridge Mountains and Niagra Falls. I've attended concerts at the Morman Tabernacle in SLC, In Branson, MO theaters; at Dollywood, and at the Grand Ole Oprey in the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, TN, as well as at Opreyland.
I've lost money in Las Vegas, faced a bear while picking wild flowers in NM, and had all our "worldly Possessions" (that were packed in our vechical) stolen while we were parked just off Broadway in NYC. (On our way home VT, our children wanted to just drive through the city and stop at McDonald's for lunch. It turned out to be the most expensive McDonald's meal we've ever eaten.
We took our Exchange student (from Holland) to New Orleans, Atlanta, Orlando/Disney World, Tampa/Bush Gardens, and the Kennedy Space Center. Nothing satisfied him more, however, than being able to play on our high school football and baseball teams. His proudest souvenir was his leather Blue Devils football jacket. When he left in July, he wore a tank top and his leather jacket on the plane.
Last Meal: Steak & Shrimp, even though I have survived stomach cancer.
Currently reading: The Pillars of the Earth , by Ken Follett.
I plan to read the Koran. I believe that radical Islam is the greatest threat to our National Security. If I really want to know what radical fundamentalist Muslims believe and think, I need to go to their source.
Hobbies: gardening, watching animals and boating activities on the Choctawhatchee Bay. Once you survive cancer, your priorities change. I appreciate all life and take time to "smell the roses".
Pet Peeve: Telemarketers and junk mail
I retired from teaching high school after 25 years. All 25 years were at Escambia County High School in Atmore, AL. I also taught Freshman English at the junior college for a while.
Most fun job: teaching & sponsoring the student council and teaching college preparatory classes.
Best memory: No particular event. Our family moved around a lot. Raleigh, Lowell and I went to three different high schools and at each school the graduation requirements were different. In my senior year at Tate I had to take Florida history with freshmen and home economics with sophomores. But, Mrs. Huggins kept things interesting for me in senior English because my twin brother Raleigh was in the same class and she had an academic competition going between us. It was actually good for us. Perhaps that is why I became an English teacher.
Most interesting: Retire and move to Paradise.......Destin/Santa Rosa Beach, FL. We built a home on the Choctawhatchee Bay and every day there is something interesting to see on the water. From my porch i watch dolphins on a regular basis. They love to feash on mullet. The larger dolphins circle around, pinning up the fish and the rest attack. Masses of fish jump out of the water, trying to escape.
The pelicans also love the mullet. in the early mornings we watch them glide just above the water. They resemble stealth bombers. When they spot their prey they circle above and dive straight down, crashing into the water.
Ocasionally we see blue herons. They can fly quickly; but when they are standing in the waters edge, looking for fish, they move very slowly and deliberately. It is like watching a movie in slow motion.
During the fall and winter the dolphins usually leave, but the migratory water fowl come. They are in the water on the coldest of our days. I have never seen them go on land and they are constantly moving. Sometimes they will disappear under the water and you might think they are not there, but suddenly a head will pop up, and then another and another....Is it any wonder why I have named my cottage "Fowl Play"?

No comments: